Monday, 11 June 2007

Voles

...


We have bank voles in our garden. I never knew what a vole was until we moved here.

:-) They are so cute.

This weekend the voles were really active. I put some left-over boiled potatoes out for the birds on Saturday, but that evening Mrs Vole came and rolled them away home. I can imagine the whole vole family had a wonderful dinner as the potatoes were bigger than they are. They live under the wooden decking by the back shed. Even during the daytime we see these little heads popping up between the wooden slats, to see if it is safe. Good idea to be careful as we have a fox, barn owls and tawny owls in our area.

Last night I was making tea when I realised there was a vole perched on the bird feeder! It's one of those tubular hanging things that hold seed or peanuts. A vole was there sitting on one of the perches trying to get a peanut out. He had a tiny paw through the mesh, but couldn't pull the peanut through. It was too dark to see if he managed to get the peanut out or not. I'm betting he did.

7 comments:

  1. AWWWW...yes, it's SO CUTE!!! I have never heard a vole before he he...so good new info for me. :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutest little things! I miss having a big garden :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one cute vole! I've never seen a real vole before but you just reminded me of, Where is Kipper's Teddy Bear, at least I think that was the name of the book, "A hole in the ground with a mound is a mole's, this hole without is a vole's..." I always wondered what a vole was but never got around to looking it up. Mystery solved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voles . . . I heard of them, but I can't remember where. I am a naturist at heart, so I really appreciate this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, those are cute...for big rat looking creatures!

    : P


    YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look very much like a mouse - oh I sure run while screaming for help :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amel and Epi
    They are cute! I love having a big garden, but it's a lot of work keeping it tidy etc.

    David
    I must admit I didn't have a clue what a vole was until recently either. They look a lot like hamsters in shape and size, but bigger ears.

    Jeff
    Me too. Now I know there are other nature-lovers reading I'll add more stuff to my blog. :-)

    DG
    No, they're pretty small actually. That's just a real close-up photo.

    Mother Hen
    Our landlady, who owns this house, is terrified of mice and voles. I think that's half the reason she moved out!

    ReplyDelete