Tuesday, 11 September 2007

At This Moment - by Susan

...
Several of my close friends have recently been talking to about the ongoing struggles in their lives. People in situations where they feel as if they are fighting to stay afloat and swim against the tide. People depressed and frustrated at the fact they are getting nowhere.

Everything we are taught in life revolves around the theme of struggle being a part of life. In Nature, at school and work, even in relationships the theme is that nothing comes easy - it all takes hard work. Struggle. We are taught to revere Progress as the greatest god of them all, even more respected than that other most powerful Western Idol - Money. We fear inertia more than death. We have lost the ability to simple "BE".

I've tried to figure a way to say that for over a week. All my brain can come up with is "Stop trying and just TRUST." Then last week I came across something a friend had written that is, in my opinion, just perfect. I can't say it better than she has, so I asked her permission to quote from her writing and she has graciously agreed.

Thank you to Susan, both for saying this so eloquently and for allowing me to share it here. :-)

At this moment...

I have come to a standstill……not searching or looking, not depressed and unhappy…….I just seem to be in this moment going nowhere…..I am waiting……For what I have no idea…..

I just have always felt that I must push myself and get somewhere I am supposed to be……

I have no idea where that place is……so I have stopped……no more looking and searching….spirit know I am here….my family know I am here……as do my friends…….those that wish to find me know where to look……….

If there is something that I must do in this lifetime then it will be done…..when I know what that something is I will move forwards…..

This is not something written with tears or anger…..for some strange reason I feel at total peace…..and I know when the time is ready I will be shown my way forwards…so until then I shall live in the moment……

I have no power to bring to me that which I desire…..so I let it go…….

I know people will argue the power of positive thinking……but…..sometimes while filling ourselves with all the hype of things, we miss that which is surrounding us without fighting and praying and wishing so damn hard for it all…..

So now, I look in the opposite way…….working out that which I do not want….cutting the threads on all that has held me down in the past…..it will take a while…..but before I can move onwards…….I need to be free of that which is not destined to be …….

Where does that leave me……it leaves me free to be that which I choose to be…not having to have approval, not having to give more of me than I am able to give…..

With time my path forwards will come to light……

until then I shall just BE…

~ copyright Susan ~

...

7 comments:

  1. This is so well said and true. If only people can accept others and just let them 'be' instead of always expecting them to progress and succeed. I have come to realise that we shouldn't succumb to this kind of pressure. It's our own life we're living!
    That said, we must know we're living the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!!! :-))))

    Some of my friends have also told me lately that they feel guilty since they're not moving forward as fast as they should.

    I frowned when hearing that. I know that moving forward is good. Improvement of self is good, but sometimes we do have to be content to just be in the moment without trying so hard to run forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a post about this...sometimes in life we have to be still. In Taoism there is a principle called Wu Wei by which is meant 'nondoing'

    "Wu-wei, usually translated as nonaction, inaction or nondoing, is one of the most important Taoist concepts.

    Aikido is a living illustration of the nondoing concept. The practitioner is moving along with his opponent instead of resisting his attacks.
    Linked with the human behavior, nondoing refers to not forcing the things on their way, on the action without effort or going with the grain.

    It's an important tenet of Taoism that involves knowing when to act and when not to act. Wu may be translated as not have; Wei may be translated as do, act, serve as, govern. The literal meaning of Wu Wei is "without action" and is often included in the paradox wei wu wei : "action without action" or "effortless doing". The practice of wu wei and the efficacy of wei wu wei are fundamental tenets in Chinese thought and have been mostly emphasized by the Taoist school. The aim of wu wei is to achieve a state of perfect equilibrium, or alignment with the Tao, and, as a result, obtain an irresistible form of "soft and invisible" power.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Random

    Most of what I know about Tao I got from the "Tao of Pooh" (lol).

    Thank you for this. I really enjoyed reading it and I hope anyone coming to read this blog post finds it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very lovely! :o)

    I've come to this moment in recent weeks myself. I've always had to "be" something else...something "more"...something "future." Bleeeahh! I'm tired of it and I've let it go. I just am. And that's okay to be. Very okay, in fact.

    I am forward. I'm where I'm supposed to be. Everything I was and everything I've done has led me right smack here. The next moment I leave to the Powers That Be.

    Thanks, Susan! And Michelle! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a timely theme and Susan says it extremely well, Michelle - I don't think its an easy topic - I'll be honest and say that I'm still finding it hard shift back to those lower calmer gears after my recent years of travel - I've been working on it lately though - and all the fresh mountain air is definitely helping!! :-) Planning to make more inroads in the following months.

    Ironically a few years ago I used to LIVE by books like the Tao of Pooh/The Te of Piglet :-), Zen and the Art of Making a living, The Prophet and so on - its just a mind space which I need to regain - just need some time I think - thanks for this post Michelle and for sharing Susan's thoughts - it helps.

    PS: I've been introduced to the 13 Moon Mayan calendar by a friend recently and I think it might possible hold a key to more harmonious living - still getting to know how it works, but it resonates with me more than anything else I've come across in recent years. Any thoughts? J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice :)

    But it's harder to just stop to "be", sometimes one has to keep trying...

    ReplyDelete