Monday, 4 February 2008

Quote - Most Richly Blessed

...
“I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all people, most richly blessed.”

6 comments:

  1. It is always good to read those words as they remind us of God's goodness and His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very articulate, thoughtful way to look at life! Thanks, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moral of the story is: if I ask for poverty, peace, and weakness, I will be given $10 trillion to start a war and be the ruler of this universe! :)

    In all seriousness, I like this poem. I do count my blessing humbly - but I can't say it out loud so often, as it's bad for my control freak image you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.

    Wow. Could you ask for more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone. This is one of my favourite quote/poems as well.

    I have no idea who the original author was, or how old it is. I've seen a few different variations too, but the message is always roughly the same.

    ReplyDelete