Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Is That Why They Call it Post?

Queen Mimi has once again set forth a meme on... Procrastination. If you want to join in simply take the question and then add your blog URL to Mimi's page.

Procrastination: The art of putting things off. I call it an "art" because it rears its ugly head in my life on a daily basis. Did you notice that I am writing this meme at 7:50 PM??? I rest my case.

1. Have you ever procrastinated about something that had life or death consequences?

My first thought was actually about someone else's story. I have a dear friend who put off seeing her doctor, for various procrastinating reasons, and now she is dying from bowel cancer - a disease that is easy to deal with if found early. If your body nags and niggles you... don't procrastinate.

2. What is the biggest area of procrastination in your life?

Oh glory! Only one? So I can't put in not doing snail mail until the snails win the race (is that why they call it 'post'?), or dusting, or putting away laundry? (hubby just dashed past folding pillow cases - has it reallt been a week since they were washed!) Only one? Okay... then it has to be showering in the morning.

My brain is it's sharpest in the morning and that's when I'm most likely to write. I'll get up, grab a cuppa, go right to paper or computer and start writing. I do know I should go shower first, but I always tell myself I'll just write that ONE page/post/reply, but ... I'll carry on writing! I haven't yet reached the stage of Michelangelo who went to bed in his boots and off to paint the next morning for months on end, but... (looks down at caftan and furry slippers and blushes)

3. If you are not a procrastinator, can you give advice to the rest of us who are?

Think less - just do it.

4. Can you think of a time when you wish you had procrastinated and NEVER done what you were waiting so long to do?

Ohhh yes! I wish I never said "Yes" to requests from people you don't know well. I do it every decade or so... say yes without looking closer at exactly what I'm agreeing to. When asked to do anything or sign anything... ALWAYS HESITATE. Take as long as you need. NEVER rush a decision to offer help until you are sure the person genuinely needs help and isn't either a scam or a parasite looking for a new host.

5. What are you procrastinating about right now?

My next blog post for BOOKS UNCAGED. I know what I want to put in it, I'm just struggling with putting it into the right words. First attempt sounded too silly, so I saved it in a draft... Now I'm hiding from it.

6. Is it really ever too late to turn back now?

I don't know. Ask Capt Jean-Luc Picard. He always knows...

7. What is the cure for your wicked lazy ways?

I'm thinking bribes... "Pay me to not procrastinate" - I love it! Yes, I can do this. :-) I can. Or gifts? I'll take gifts too... if they're nicely wrapped.

8 comments:

  1. I am a midnight writer and then can't get up in the morning.
    So sorry about your friend. And thanks for the reminder.

    You have a new blog! Yay! I shall check it out.

    Thanks for playing! I will place your link on my site if you don't mind so that other players can find you.

    Great answers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this so much (well, except the part about your dear friend but I loved the message anyway). :-D

    Jean-Luc Picard? I LOVE that character! :-D

    Bribes sound great! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mimi
    Thank you for the kind reply, especially about my friend. I know she'd want me to pass that message on - don't leave a health niggle. It's always better to check it out.

    Yes, glutton for more reasons to procrastinate... I have a new blog to add to the list. ;-)

    Ah... you're an owl girl writer.8>

    Thanks for the meme. They are good fun and get my brain bouncing.

    Hi Amel
    Thank you! :-)

    I couldn't think what to write about too late to turn back and then I saw Star Trek, for some reason. Capt Picard would never turn back or say it was too late! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a period when I would ask spirit to pick a book for me to read. Standing before the psychology/psychic/self-help bookshelf in the library, my eyes were drawn by a book.... "What type (of 5) of Procrastinator are you".... NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING!!!
    Upon reading the book I found I was all 5 !! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, ha, interesting. I don't procrastinate with regard to housework, gardening, etc. But, I do procrastinate when it comes to doing things I've wanted to do for years. For example, I have all the supplies to paint, do many arts and craft projects and many other things but keep putting it all off. I think my problem is that I have far too many things that I want to do and can't seem to pick one, consequently, nothing gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh den... that made me laugh out loud! Sounds like my kind of book. ;-)

    Hi OldCrow
    oh dear... yes I have that too! When I moved countries (Africa to Scotland) I gave away boxes of beads, paints, craft stuff, etc. Too many interesting things!

    ReplyDelete