Monday, 22 October 2012

Love Me Tender...

I found a smashing meme online today on Cate's blog - Infinite Sadness or Hope. Here's the challenge...

“Get a pen and paper (or pull up a blank word file on your computer) and compile a lit of songs which remind you how loved you are and/or remind you that you are worth loving.

They should be songs that mean something to you and my advice is to aim for about 10-12 songs.

Once you have written your list or lists set about finding and obtaining those songs.

Once you have them all, burn yourself a CD or set up a playlist on your music player, that you can use any time you are feeling down or lacking in self-worth and need some encouragement.

And how about sharing the fact that you have taken up this challenge on your blog and sharing your list with others.  You can even share why certain songs mean so much to you.  Oh and feel free to link back here so that I can check out your songs too.”

I must admit... I already have some lists on YouTube of favourite songs I listen to when I'm writing (always instrumental - I can't write with other words in my head!) or just to relax/enjoy, but a list of songs to remind me I'm loved or worth loving? wow... that's a whole new concept for me! I like it a lot. :-) 

So here are my choices. I love all of them, but I'm putting the one I want to share the lyrics of as my number 10.
  
1. Owl City - Fireflies
2. Bily Joel - Just the Way You Are
3. Noa - Beautiful That Way
4. Des'ree - It's Ok
5. Eddie Reader - Simple Soul
6. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
7. Cat Stevens - How can I Tell You?
8. Brooke Fraser - Something in the Water
9. Mika - Celebrate
10. India Arie - Beautiful Flower



This is a song for every girl who's
Ever been through something
She thought she couldn't make it through
I sing these words because
I was that girl too
Wanting something better than this
But who do I turn to?

Now we're moving from the darkness into the light
This is the defining moment of our lives

'Cause you're beautiful like a flower
More valuable than a diamond
You are powerful like a fire
You can heal the world with your mind

There is nothing in the world that you cannot do
When you believe in you, who are beautiful
Yeah you, who are brilliant
Yeah you, who are powerful
Yeah you, who are resilient

This is a song for every girl who
Feels that she is not special
'Cause she don't look like a supermodel Coke bottle
The next time the radio tells you to shake your moneymaker
Shake your head and tell them, tell them you're a leader

Now we're moving from the darkness into the light
This is the defining moment of our lives

'Cause you're beautiful like a flower
More valuable than a diamond
You are powerful like a fire
You can heal the world with your mind

There is nothing in the world that you cannot do
When you believe in you, who are beautiful
Yeah you, who are brilliant
Yeah you, who are powerful
Yeah you, who are resilient

Yeah you, who are beautiful
Yeah you, who are brilliant
Yeah you, who are powerful
Yeah you, who are resilient

Yeah you, this song is for you
Yeah you, this song is for you
Yeah you, this song is for you
Yeah you, yeah you
You are brilliant 

13 comments:

  1. Michelle, I love your list and that last song is just what I needed to listen to today. So thank you.
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! This is a nice challenge! I'll have to think of it. I have SO many fave songs in youtube ha ha ha ha ha ha...so it's gonna hard to sift through, but I'll definitely link back once I'm done. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cate

    I loved this meme. It really cheered me up no end hunting out those ten songs. :-)

    Hi Amel
    I look forward to seeing your list! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Done!!! Now I'm gonna start listening to some of the songs on your list that I'm not familiar with he he he...

    I Am Worth Loving Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha ha...it was fun to watch Peter Gabriel ride a bike while singing on stage! :-D

    Btw, gotta admit that I only know 3 out of the 10 songs you listed here, but it's nice to learn new songs. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amel
    Two of the people I never knew until my mom sent me them! My mom listens to the radio, you see. It was that way I found Mika and Brooke Fraser. Brooke sings some really wonderful spiritual songs - do check out her other stuff! SAme with India Arie. There were about four from India I could have used, to be honest. All her songs make you feel loved. :-)

    Now I'm going to go read/listen to your list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this and yes, India Arie would take up a few spots on the list. She's on mine, thanks to you :) I've just gone through my 'feel good' playlist thinking that this would be a no-brainer, but was shocked to find I had few that were about loving myself or feeling worthy of love. This may turn out to be far more profound than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, since I listen to so much music... it brings me such great joy, that this challenge is a great thought for me. I work long long hours during the week (12 hour shifts) so I have regrettably for the time being, given up my beloved blogging. My own laptop blew up a year ago, so I live on "borrowed" time on my Sweetie's laptop. Time is precious. Seeing your blog carry on as usual with such great topics makes me want to take up my own once again. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS:sorry, I'm logged on as Raven's Flight Biofuel... I'm tsduff :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tint
    Me too actually. I love music, but picking songs to express feeling self love or being loved? It made me think a lot deeper!

    I look forward to your list, whenever, whereever. ;-)

    Hi Terry
    I love your alternate ego. Biofuel? Awesome! Sort of... Clark Kent-Superman of Corvid kind? ;-D

    Don't be impressed. I'm writing about one blog post a month lately, filling in with a few photos in between. It's been a mad crazy year and my computer has crashed-frozen-gone weird so many times since April that I've given up trying to save or find anything. I've lost chunks of emails, folders... ugh. Horrible, but kind of... zen. LOL I really am learning to let go of my computer "possesions" with a shrug at this stage. If an email vanishes? shrug *Neh*

    I'm just glad I had a short chance to ctatch up with you and say hi. Facebook isn't the same - things zoom off my wall and I forget anyone I don't see there. :-\

    You are missed, but I get it. life comes first!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS

    My latest "victim" was my keyboard. So I'm now on a new smaller keyboard and keep missing the keys. Typos rampant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Btw, I LOVE Brooke Fraser's voice and that song you mentioned here went straight into my youtube playlist! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amel

    Brooke Fraser's Shadowfeet is lovely too. :-)

    ReplyDelete