Saturday 4 November 2023

Dona Nobis Pacem ~ Live in Truth

 


 This year, Queen Mimi's peace challenge was to "Change the Room":

"How do you keep your peace when all around you is chaos? The planet is groaning for peace and stability. We can change the atmosphere by walking in daily calmness and joy, even during the darkest of days. What fuels your inner peace? Tell us how you do it. We'll learn from each other."

Every story has to start from the truth, and my truth is that the last time I remember feeling peace was a very long time ago. A friend made me find that truth. She asked me to walk my spiral, to return to my centre and find that moment I lost my sense of peace.

I was about eight years old and beginning to realise my country was at war. I read my first newspaper story about a man and his wife being tortured. Not in some faraway unknown land but in my own back yard area. And the ground beneath my feet, that had felt so permanent and comforting, turned to mist.

"Never apologize for showing feeling.
When you do so, you apologize for the truth."

Benjamin Disraeli

So here is my truth. I had my first panic attack in a new country where the same old patterns of violence and war were being repeated all over again. I was 18, but that seed of anxiety was sown ten years earlier when that little me read about unbelievable cruelty and realised it was real. Real people doing terrible things to real people.

I hid my anxiety for decades, ashamed of what I saw as a flaw, a weakness. I hid myself away behind many masks. I was the clown and the joker, the comforter and advice-giver, the person who (according to many) "lit up the room."

If I could not feel peace, I could be peace.

“To live in the light of a new day and an unimaginable and unpredictable future, you must become fully present to a deeper truth – not a truth from your head, but a truth from your heart; not a truth from your ego, but a truth from the highest source.”

Debbie Ford

My truth is that I have never truly felt safe since before I was 8 years old, but recently I have finally begun to feel inner peace. I have accomplished that by doing two things:

1. Owning my truth. 
2. Accepting there is no solid ground beneath my feet.

My room is a sailing ship out at sea. I have learned to rise and fall with the ocean below me, to weather sudden storms and not drown in irrational fear. I surf my moments of extreme anxiety like the dolphin in the water below me. I am learning how to swim with them, to dive deep and not lose my breath.

There can be peace on the ocean as well as on the solid shore. 

I found this beautiful song this year. Thank you, Bukahara. It's the perfect way to end this blog post.


We are the strangersEveryone's heard ofNo one has ever seen before'Cause we make no sound
 
It's like eight hundred peopleWatching the same rain fallFrom up there on the 17th floorAll the way down to the ground
 
We are the facesBehind the windowsThere may be names on every doorBut they never leave home
 
It's like we're clocks that show no timeIn a house that has no stairsBut if no one caresNo one will ever let you down   
So tell me now 

If we will never be the same kind of peopleIn the eyes of thoseWho believe that we're still on the runThen everyone who feels the sameWay as we do should riseFrom the house we live in
'Cause the time has come
 
We are the storiesThat no one has ever toldIf we weren't quiet no moreWould our names be known?
 
It's like we're singing songs on the balconiesIn a choir that has no tonguesBut if no one runsWe will never be aloneSo tell me now
 
If we will never be the same kind of peopleIn the eyes of thoseWho believe that we're still on the runThen everyone who feels the sameWay as we do should riseFrom the house we live in
 
'Cause the time has come to seeTime has come to showTime has come to let you know we are hereSo tell me now
 
If we will never be the same kind of peopleIn the eyes of thoseWho believe that we're still on the runThen everyone who feels the same way as we doShould rise from the house we live in'Cause the time has come

8 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful post and what a journey you've had along the way. I pray that peace will always be with you and within you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. May your heart always swim with the dolphins, in this topsy-turvy world. They are an intelligent species. We could learn much from them. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, such a beautiful post... I've thought of words to put it in, but I really can't. Thank you for sharing. Peace to you, always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite line from this post, "There can be peace on the ocean as well as on the solid shore." I love your vulnerability, your strength, your tenacity, your truth. Thank you for inspiring us. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Mimi. I just say what I think/feel. I'm always surprised that others find it worthwhile. I am honoured.

      Delete

Hi,

Older posts are moderated to stop spammers, so replies will go up, but please be patient. :)