Monday 7 March 2011

A Very Personal Sunset

...
I know I've been scarce the last few weeks. My mom-in-law is in hospital and visiting her takes about three hours out of the day, longer if we stay to talk to family. She was taken in to hospital at the end of February and she won't be coming home. The doctors ran lots of tests... she has acute leukemia. The doctors guess she has between 2 to 5 weeks left.

She's 87 and frail, aggressive cancer treatment would kill her faster than the illness, so she's chosen to not have any treatment and to let things take their natural course. At the moment we're taking things day by day, visiting as much as we can. It's hard to see the life-light within her fading, but strangely inspiring too - to watch someone waiting to step from one world to another. It's like watching a very personal sunset.


...

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's illness, Michelle. I do think the path she has chosen to avoid invasive treatment and take each day as it comes is the best one. At 87, she has led a full life, I'm sure. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE HUGS, M...may God give strength and comfort for each and every one of you...I LOVE what you wrote: about watching a very personal sunset...now I have tears in my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, Michelle, transitions are always more wrenching than it seems they should be, hum? I am so comfortable with what's beyond - but can never bear to let go. May you stay strong yet soft, and let your heart flower in this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amel
    (((hugs)))

    Hayden
    Very well said/described. Thank you for the wishes. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sorry to read of your mother-in-law's illness. She is taking a course of action I would follow, too, given the same or similar circumstances.

    Hugs to you and your husband during this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fellow Corvid :-)

    Thank you for the hugs. They are truly appreciated. Some days are harder than others, but thankfully there's more emotional pain for the family than for her.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Older posts are moderated to stop spammers, so replies will go up, but please be patient. :)