Tuesday 12 June 2007

NewsFlash #1

With credit to Jeff for inventing this concept/meme. I'll start with a quote from Jeff on the idea of NewsFlash..


NEWS FLASH is basically news or thoughts that may be changing over time - an update or an evolution of thought that covers a multiple of topics. It is what makes a blogger tick and it is the reason why we read. So, with that in mind, I came up with NEWS FLASH as an acronym that stands for what is going on in life:

News (or current events)
Entertainment (movies, TV, celebrity, etc.)
Work (thoughts on the job or employer)
Spirit (thoughts on God and/or the supernatural)
Family (or friends)
Love
Anxiety (a rant or a trouble)
Sports (those who have no interest in sports can be creative such as contests, reality tv, recreation, cards, games), and
Home (house, yard, or even another family type of thought.


Jeff, I'm changing one - the first. Because I really want a wildlife/nature spot and N for Nature worked in the best!

Nature
Our garden has exploded with baby birds this month. We have two young robins bobbling about in the flower beds, a nest full of blackbird chicks beneath the bathroom window in a creeper plant and two coal tit chicks who are very cute but irritating. They follow their parents going "peeep-peeep-peeep" the entire day. The blackbirds are my favourites because dad blackbird sings fantastic songs every evening from the highest trees at each corner of his territory. Plus the blackbirds are well-behaved. The robins were a surprise. I've only known robins from cute pictures on Christmas cards. The truth is that robins are bossy, aggressive and really amusing. Mr robin thinks he owns the entire bird feeding table and spends so much time trying to chase everyone away that he forgets to eat. His kids aren't aggressive yet, but they both refuse to be scared of humans and ignore us if we walk in the garden. I've stood a metre away and watched a young robin beat up an earthworm.

Entertainment
Tonight is the second semi-finals of Celebrity Chef on TV. My family is addicted to this show. Every episode has made us hungry as the contestants invent new exotic dishes to impress the judges. They're down to four celebrities now. Midge Ure is one. His Asian-style dishes have been fantastic. Last night their test was to cook outdoors in an army mess. The winner was an actress/mum who made meatballs in tomato sauce and chocolate chip muffins with custard.

Work
I've been chewing over starting up my old astrology consultation business again, but I keep dragging my feet. I feel like I want changes, to try something different, but… ? This area is a total blank in my brain at the moment.

Spirit
My spirit guide has indicated an interest in blogging. That gives me horrors as just explaining why/how I ended up with a spirit guide would take forever to explain. Oh and "guide" is a very loose term for our relationship. He suggests and I mostly query, argue or ignore him. Sometimes I listen, which probably surprises me more than him.

Family and friends
Today we're going to visit neighbours who are becoming friends. I hate visiting or being visited and yet I like people. It makes things tricky as I really enjoy company and talking, fun etc, I just don't enjoy having people in my personal space. I'm kind of the aloof extrovert.. or friendly loner.

Love
My husband - Sandy (Alexander). Who always reads my writing - as long as it is short. Long blog posts he stares at and says "Do you mind if I don't read that?" :-D Mind you, he always listens to me when I grumble, fret, worry, whine or rant - even if I go on for hours on something he totally doesn't care about. Plus he lets me cry when I need to, even though he hates seeing me in tears. And he has given me permission to wake him up at any time of the night if I have a bad dream and need a hug!
Who could ask for more?

Anxiety (a rant or a trouble)
I hate grocery shopping. I really truly hate it. I hate the noise and people riding over your feet or bumping you with their trolleys. I hate the lighting and the narrow aisles. I hate the fact that there are way too many choices. I don't want to spend my life deciding between twenty types of every single item. This week all I wanted was plain old toothpaste, but I had to wade through lightening, plaque control, fresher breath, new oxygenated (huh???), new lighten and brighten etc etc.

Sports
I am so unsporty! I do love limited-overs cricket, but it isn't on the TV as often here as in South Africa and I've slowly grown out of craving my cricket "fix". Sport makes me think of beer so I'll write about beer instead. I love Scottish beer. A big surprise as I've never liked beer before. Scottish beer has no hops in it. For some reason that makes a difference my tastebuds love. More malty, less bitter.. I'm starting to drool. :-D

Home
Home is a tough one. Since I moved to Scotland we've rented and due to other circumstances we've moved five times. Moving five times in four years is not fun and does not leave you with a sense of "home"! This latest place is fantastic and we all hope it stays "home" for a long time.

That was fun! Thanks Jeff. :-)

4 comments:

  1. I like what you have done with it. I am surprised that your robins are aggressive and I have never seen them worry about feeding table (seed). They eat worms and bugs and such as far as I know. Interesting.

    I wouldn't worry too much about home being your place. It sounds like home is where your husband - based on your description of his relationship to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post Michelle! I had to stop for a snack, though, after reading about the choc chip muffins and custard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO unsporty myself! I have never really liked sports. However during the past few years I've tried keeping up a kind of exercise as I want to stay healthy.

    I hope you'll find your long-lasting nest somewhere with your husband (either in the place you're both living in or someplace else). :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jeff

    I really like what you said. I hadn't thought of it that way, but yes - "home" is more than a physical place.

    Epi
    That cooking show is killing me! I get hungry every time I watch it.

    Amel
    Thank you for the home wish. :-))

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Older posts are moderated to stop spammers, so replies will go up, but please be patient. :)